Why it pays to read children's books

I fell in love with reading as a child. Right around the age of 8 or 9 books enchanted me. Suddenly I could leave my world behind me and see and experience things as someone else, many things I'd never encounter in my lifetime. Naturally fantasy has always been my favorite genre of books. There's just something doing/seeing the impossible that just enthralls me.


Since childhood it has not been uncommon for me to carry a book around. I did slack off on reading once I became the mother of 2 lol but especially since my oldest is reading herself now, I have tried to find more time to read too.



I still find fantasy children's books to be my favorite. I especially loved the Harry Potter series and I cannot wait till my girls and I can read them together. On our last library visit I spotted one of the HP follow up books "The Tales of Beatle the Bard" which is the collection of wizard fairy tales. I have been reading on it here and there, and since it's a relatively small book I've been carrying it around in my purse to read while I wait for various things.

the tales of beetle the bard Pictures, Images and Photos


Well Jazlyn's school had a literacy day this week and I wanted to attend since I haven't spent any time in her class at all yet this year. When I arrived the kids were all in front of a rocking chair with hot cocoa and blankets, ready to hear some stories. Then the teacher asked which parent would like to read first, luckily it wasn't me that was chosen first or second. I asked another mom if we were supposed to have brought a book to read and she told me yes, we were supposed to bring our favorite book to read to the kids (or a portion). Man! What a great opportunity for me to share a book that I like.......if only I had read the entire paper sent home though.......

As I sat there trying to figure out if I should just grab Jazlyn's copy of "How To Train Your Dragon" from her desk and read it occurred to me that I did bring a book! I quietly went into my bag and got out "The Tales of Beatle the Bard" and thumbed through which short wizard fairy tale I would read. I ended up sharing the "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot" and quickly became aware that the writing wasn't quite on a 2nd grade level. I'm afraid the reading wasn't all that stellar as I tripped up a little on words because I kept substituting and paraphrasing to make it easier for the kids to understand.

But I think they liked it, especially the boys, they weren't so excited to hear a 'fairy tale' until I told them it was a wizard fairy tale and there were no princesses lol. That cheered them up, and the part about warts too I think. They even grasped the moral of the story was kindness.

That day I was very grateful that I chose to read children's books on my own. I am positive I will never stop.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Followers

Back to Home Back to Top Responsible Disorder. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.